- The law protects the relationship between a client (over the age of 16) and a psychotherapist, and information cannot be disclosed without written permission.
- Parents have a right to review records of adolescents under the age of 16. This issue is discussed with adolescent clients and their parents in the first session.
- If records are required by a Court order, they may be released, in very limited circumstances.
Please feel free to discuss these issues with me.
- Suspected child abuse or dependant adult or elder abuse, for which I am required by law to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person/s, I must notify the police and inform the intended victim.
- If a client intends to harm himself or herself, I will make every effort to enlist their cooperation in insuring their safety. If they do not cooperate, I will take further measures without their permission (provided to me by law) to ensure their safety.
- If records are subpoened by a Court